Monday, December 1, 2008

It really is, after all.

Every Sunday at an eclectic athletic club, complete with tennis courts of hardened dirt and live music, a group of expatriates and Rwandans meet to play ultimate frisbee. Yup, ultimate frisbee in Kigali. Who knew? One of my new roommates is a regular attendee of this event and invited me along. As we were throwing to each other before the games began, a middle-aged man approached the field. He was wearing an old pair of mesh shorts with "Berkeley" silk-screened on the leg.

"Is that Berkeley, California?" I asked.
"Yes. Did you go there?" He replied.
"Not yet, but I'd like to. It’s my top choice for grad school."
"Oh, my brother is the chancellor of the university."

In the few seconds of stunned silenced that followed his revelation, I tried not to giggle. Perhaps nothing will come of this connection, but it sure can't hurt. It is a small, small world.

3 comments:

Josh and Heather said...

that is so cool. love it...

Josh and Heather said...

so how was the frisbee? is it competitive???

Becky said...

Imagine yourself there. . . wandering the campus. It will soon be your home. So glad to hear about your trip!